There are many types of ceramic coating in the market today. There are SiO boost sprays, PTFE-Based Ceramic Spray, and others. These various products also differ in hardness - 9H Ceramic Coating and 10H Ceramic Coating.
Kinds of Ceramic Coatings
The PTFE-based sprays are also known by many as the Teflon-based sprays. They are the least strong when it comes to ceramic coatings. These sprays can create superhydrophobic surfaces with limited protection. Also, it’s exceptional at providing protection against heat and producing a non-stick surface
As for the name, PTFE stands for Polytetrafluoroethylene, the chemical it contains. It is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene. But, it is better known as Teflon, a famous brand name.
Its downside is it is not as hard as SiO-based or TiO based ceramic coatings. These two are the main ingredients of professional ceramic coatings and they are not usually found in DIY ceramic sprat coatings.
ADVANTAGES OF PTFE-BASED CERAMIC COATING
- They can be applied to multiple surfaces including car paint, windows, exterior plastics, and other materials.
- They are very easy to spray on and wipe off.
- They create a really hydrophobic surface that makes the car paint slippery.
- They can help improve the shine of gloss finish paint.
SiO Boost Sprays
Next are the SiO Boost Sprays. These products are infused with silicon dioxide or Silica. There are also some that have titanium dioxide. These two primary ingredients are blended with polymers and other liquid ingredients.
Like the PTFE sprays, the SiO boost sprays strengthens and enhances the hydrophobic properties of the car’s factory paint job. The difference is that the SiO ones use nano-technology.
This lets the SiO and TiO go in super small spaces of the car paint, to damages that are not seen by the naked eye. It combines with them and forms a stronger base for the paint coat layer.
Most of the products can last up to 6-8 months.
ADVANTAGES OF SiO-BASED CERAMIC COATING
- They can penetrate most microscopic spaces that need repair
- They are easy to spray on and wipe off.
- They create a hydrophobic surface that makes the car paint slippery.
- They can help improve the shine of gloss finish paint up to 6 months
Third, on the list is the Nano Coatings. These types of coatings are professionally used. They are also infused with SiO and TiO. They are concentrated and mixed with other solvents.
That makes them easier to put and bond with the layer when applied by a professional detailer or certified installer. This type has more protections than the first two. It can go against UV rays, swirl marks, and other minor imperfections on a car’s paintwork.
Though almost always used by professionals, there are DIY kinds of nanocoating. There are different levels of concentration these nano-coating products give. It ranges from 50 percent to 84 percent. The more concentrated it is, the harder it is for a non-professional to use it. It would take a lot of reading and research to know exactly how to apply it.
ADVANTAGES OF NANO COATINGS
- They can penetrate all microscopic spaces that need to be repaired
- Produces a hydrophobic surface
- Improves the glossiness of finish paint the longest
- Protection from swirl marks, UV rays, chipped paint, and water stains
Graphene-based ceramic coatings
Last but not least is the Graphene-based ceramic coatings. These are the newest material that is making a buzz in the car detailing industry. This is because graphene has been named the world’s strongest material. It is made up of a single layer of carbon atoms.
Moreover, graphene is also flexible which is why it has a better water-resisting agent than the first three kinds. There are many products and materials that say it is better than ceramic coating. However, the material graphene alone cannot be a coat.
It is usually mixed with the ceramic coating and as a result, it is the strongest of all types. The ceramic molecule goes under the paint of the car and the graphene molecules go on top of it for a lasting effect.
ADVANTAGES OF GRAPHENE-BASED CERAMIC COATING
- Water-spot prevention and reduction
- Anti-corrosion against winter road salt
- Chemical resistance below PH 12
- Flexibility Hydrophobic Enhanced Durability
- High Slickness
- Higher Abrasion Resistance due to its strength
- Wet Glossy appearance
Though there are many DIY ceramic coatings, the level of difficulty it has for applying varies on the expertise of the car owner. This is why it is advised to let professional car detailers do the job.